John M. Maniscalco, Ph.D.
RESEARCH INTEREST:Behavior and population dynamics of Alaskan pinnipeds and seabirds
John first came to Alaska with the U.S. Coast Guard in 1985 and learned to operate a variety of vessels while servicing aids to navigation along the Gulf of Alaska coast. After leaving the Coast Guard he earned a Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Alaska Southeast, then a Master of Science degree through the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) while studying seabird ecology in Prince William Sound. John has been working as a Research Associate at the Alaska SeaLife Center (ASLC) since the summer of 2000. His research focus is on the behavior and population dynamics of Steller sea lions and nesting seabirds, primarily through the use of remote video monitoring techniques. He earned a Ph.D. degree from UAF with a dissertation study related to his sea lion research at ASLC. John also continues to work as a part-time captain and naturalist for the tourist industry based in Seward, Alaska.
- Maniscalco, J.M. (2014) The effects of birth weight and maternal care on survival of juvenile Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) PLoS ONE 9(5): e96328
- Parker, P., J.M. Maniscalco (2014) A long-term study reveals multiple reproductive behavior strategies among territorial adult male steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) Canadian Journal of Zoology 92:405-415
- Jemison, L.J., G.W. Pendleton, L.W. Fritz, K.K. Hastings, J.M. Maniscalco, A.W. Trites, T.S. Gelatt (2013) Inter-population movements of Steller sea lions in Alaska with implications for population separation. PLoS ONE 8(8): e70167. (PDF)
- Keogh, M.J., S. Atkinson, J.M. Maniscalco (2013) Body condition and endocrine profiles of Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus) pups during the early postnatal period. General and Comparative Endocrinology 184:42-50.
- Castellini J.M., L.D. Rea, C.L. Lieske, K.B. Beckmen, B.S. Fadely, J.M. Maniscalco, T.M. O’Hara (2012) Mercury concentrations in hair from neonatal and juvenile Steller sea lions: Implications based on age and region in this Northern Pacific marine sentinel piscivore. EcoHealth 9:267-277.
- Mathews, E.A., J.N. Womble, G.W. Pendleton, L.A. Jemison, J.M. Maniscalco, G. Streveler (2011) Population growth and colonization of Steller sea lions in the Glacier Bay region of southeastern Alaska: 1970s-2009. Marine Mammal Science 27:852-880.
- Maniscalco, J.M., A.M. Springer, P. Parker. 2010. High natality rates of endangered Steller sea lions in Kenai Fjords, Alaska and perceptions of the population status in the Gulf of Alaska. PLoS ONE 5(4): e10076. (Download File)
- Keogh, M.J., J.M. Maniscalco, S. Atkinson. 2010. Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus) pups undergo a decrease in circulating white blood cells and the ability of T cells to proliferate during early postnatal development. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 137: 298-304.
- Maniscalco, J.M.,P. Parker. 2009. A case of twinning and the care of two offspring of different age in Steller sea lions. Marine Mammal Science 25:206-213. (Download File)
- Maniscalco, J.M.,D.G. Calkins, P. Parker, S. Atkinson. 2008. Causes and extent of natural mortality among Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus) pups. Aquatic Mammals 34:277-287. (PDF)
- Parker, P., J.T. Harvey, J.M. Maniscalco, S. Atkinson. 2008. Pupping-site fidelity among individual Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) at Chiswell Island, Alaska. Canadian Journal of Zoology 86:826-833.
- Maniscalco, J.M.,C. O. Matkin, D. Maldini, S. Atkinson, D.G. Calkins. 2007. Assessing killer whale predation on Steller sea lions from field observations in Kenai Fjords, Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 23:306-321. (Download File)
- Maniscalco, J.M.,K. R. Harris, S. Atkinson, P. Parker. 2007. Alloparenting in Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus): correlations with misdirected care and other observations. Journal of Ethology 25:125-131. (Download File)
- Maniscalco, J.M.,P. Parker, S. Atkinson. 2006. Interseasonal and interannual measures of maternal care among individual Steller sea lions. Journal of Mammalogy 87:304-311. (Download File)
- Maniscalco, J.M.,K. Wynne, K.W. Pitcher, M.B. Hanson, S.R. Melin, S. Atkinson. 2004. The occurrence of California sea lions (Zalophus californianus) in Alaska. Aquatic Mammals 30:427-433.
- Maniscalco, J.M.,W.D. Ostrand, R.M. Suryan, and D.B. Irons. 2001. Passive interference competition by glaucous-winged gulls on black-legged kittiwakes: a cost of feeding in flocks. Condor. 103(3):616-619. (PDF)
- Maniscalco, J.M., W. Ostrand, and K. Coyle. 1998. Selection of Fish Schools by Flocking Seabirds in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Colonial Waterbirds. 21(3):314-322.